Today, March 8th, is International Women’s Day. This day has been observed for over 100 years as a way to celebrate the successes and achievements of women around the world and to promote awareness of gender issues that still exist. Thousands of events are being held globally today to celebrate and recognize women’s achievements now and in the past.
While walls (and ceilings) have been broken down in some countries with women serving as astronauts, politicians and prime ministers, there is still a ways to go, especially internationally, in achieving gender equality.
According to one article, here are five reasons you should care about International Women’s Day:
- Violence Against Women is Rife Worldwide
- Women Are Under-Represented in Politics
- Women Are Disproportionately Affected by Conflict
- Women Are More Likely to Suffer from Poverty and Lack of Education
- Double Standards Exist on How Our Societies Perceive, Value, and Judge Men and Women
Let’s all celebrate women’s accomplishments and take action to advocate for gender equality.